August 27, 2007

La Gringa saves a hummingbird

Hummingbird trapped in houseHummingbird trapped in the house

Another exciting day in La Gringa's house. We had the window screens open to capture a little more breeze. Later I heard a flapping noise. Going to investigate, I found this hummingbird desperately trying to get out the closed windows.





I couldn't get a much better look at the hummingbird in person than is shown in the photo. The only thing I could see clearly was the brightly colored tail. I think it was a Rufous-tailed hummingbird, because, well, it had a reddish-brown tail and they are known to be in this area. Daniel from Hondubirding is probably cringing at my identification.

I have to apologize for the quality of the video. First, there was the problem that the light was bright outside the windows. Then there was the problem of filming with one hand while rescuing with the other.

Anyway, now if you ever have a hummingbird or any other type of bird trapped in your house, you'll know what to do. In a pinch, a broom can be used instead of the duster.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...