December 13, 2010

"Baseball" avocados

baseball avocadosI call this a baseball avocado

We did the unthinkable, the unpardonable, the very stupid thing of planting seeds from hybrid fruits and this is what we get. Perfectly round, baseball sized avocados. After waiting about 5 years, we now have two huge baseball avocado trees.

I know better, I really do. It's just that these seeds were growing so nicely in the compost pile and since they had such a strong desire to live, I couldn't help myself but to plant them.

Someone picked a couple of them when they were rock hard. I waited and waited, then sort of forgot and the next time I checked, the last one had already gone bad. El Jefe told me later that he had opened the other one and the bit of it that wasn't already bad actually tasted pretty good, like a Haas avocado. So maybe all is not lost.

Full confession: We also planted two avocado seeds from those long handled avocados that tasted so good. I don't know if they are hybrids or not. We'll see what happens.

Some people never learn.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...